You are going to think that you are speaking in this season of the Strasbourg Christmas market is not quite current … Yes … and no! Indeed, you will have to wait until the end of the year to get there, between November 28 and December 31, but if you want to fully enjoy this beautiful city and discover its legendary Christmas market, you will have to to get there in advance, would it be to book accommodation, because it attracts many tourists from all over Europe …
So that’s why we’re talking about Christmas in the spring!
The Strasbourg Christmas Market is famous all over Europe!
It must be said that the Strasbourg Christmas market is extremely famous since it has been held every year since 1570! An ancient tradition that brings joy to young and old as the whole city dresses up to celebrate Christmas in joy. At the time of course the “Christkindelsmärik” (baby Jesus market) was not as important as it is today! Because more than 300 chalets are now installed, spread over different sites following themes, which makes the Christmas market in Strasbourg one of the largest Christmas markets in Europe! The city of Strasbourg has also won the contest “Best Christmas market in Europe 2014! (Among Barcelona, Basel, Birmingham, Brussels, Cologne, Dresden, Lille, Nuremberg and Vienna).
Several Christmas markets for everyone
You will thus discover, distributed throughout the city, several typical markets:
- Traditional Christmas markets:
- Christkindelsmärik, Broglie Square
- Christmas market of the cathedral, cathedral square
- Market of the three wise men, place Benjamin-Zix
- Golden Square Market, new Temple Square
- Christmas Markets Place du Corbeau and Place de la Gare
- Gourmands will be able to find themselves in two markets:
- Christmas delight market in Alsace, Place d’Austerlitz, which brings together bakers from Strasbourg and the region, winemakers of the Golden Crown, farmers producers of foie gras from Alsace … You will be able to taste products Alsatian traditional: bredle, foie gras from Alsace, wines from the region, without forgetting the warm white wine of Alsace to warm you up!
- Market of the irreducible small producers of Alsace, place des meuniers
And lovers of books will feast at the Christmas book, room Aubette place Kléber, while the curious will go to have fun discovering Alsatrucs Place Broglie, which brings together objects created by local artisans.
But it should be noted that the Christmas market in Strasbourg is not organized only for tourists: there is also in the Village of Sharing, Place Kleber a welcome for the needy with more than 80 charities, humanitarian and clubs services that share their solidarity actions during the Advent season.
And of course, let’s not forget the children who can meet at the Children’s Village, Place Saint Thomas! And a guest every year: the city of Strasbourg invites for each Christmas market a friendly country. For Christmas 2013, Croatia was in the spotlight, from which it was possible to discover the secrets and charms in the Croatian Village.
Strasbourg at Christmas time, they are also beautiful illuminations with miles of garlands, a huge tree 30 meters high, a blue tree and a crystal tree, cruises, concerts, shows, exhibitions, walks … what to enjoy this beautiful city!